Monday 18 December 2017

I lit a lamp


 Brian Fernandes   ¦     Oct 29, 2016 10:11:14 AM (IST)
Yesterday, I lit a lamp
A series of lamps
Real earthen lamps
Formed by hand
And forged by fire
Not though of a
Tyre or pyre.

Human hands cupped around
My diyas of hope, 
I lit a match
And said to myself,
I hope they catch, 
All that is good and right
And burn bright all night.
I lit a lamp-1
For it was Diwali,
The festival of lights,
And the world had lit up
Even though it was so split up
Hoping to revive and rejoin
Hoping to shut up
All those that fight 
Over religion, and what is mine,
And over loin and coin.

My work is done,
I’ve dispelled the darkness
and brought to light
The unseemly going on's
In this worldly mess.
But after the fun,
Will there remain 
The scent of a burnt tyre
Or the cinders of a hasty pyre?
Sometimes the world 
Does not understand a pun...
Unless it emanates from 
The barrel of a gun.

https://www.newskarnataka.com/features/i-lit-a-lamp

No comments:

Post a Comment