Tuesday 15 September 2015

Destiny’s Design or Designer Destiny



In the mid-nineties, he started penning stories out of financial need. Now, within weeks of each other, two of his films have made more than $100 million.
K V Vijayendra Prasad is the 72-year-old scriptwriter of Bajrangi Bhaijaan and Baahubali—two of the biggest blockbusters ever made in India.  He is a grandfather. Prasad has a son and a daughter—and three grandchildren.
Prasad—who started his career in Tollywood, the Telugu film industry—is from Kovvur, in Andhra Pradesh, but spent most of his life working as a farmer in Karnataka. However, he wasn’t able to make enough money to look after his family. In the mid-eighties, he moved to Chennai to try his luck in regional films. “That’s how I entered films,” Prasad said. “It was out of a struggle for existence. I didn’t have any livelihood then.”
After a decade of odd jobs and an unsuccessful attempt at directing a film, Prasad took to writing in 1994. Besides these two back-to-back successes this year, he has contributed to Indian cinema with more than 15 hits.
“That’s because I have a flair for telling lies. A story is nothing but a series of lies. And I can lie very beautifully,” he said. And ladies and gentlemen our lives are our stories. 
So what’s the lesson I learnt reading this story and many like his including that of JK Rowling – which he failed and then succeeded. He drifted, and then he sailed. He failed and then he succeeded, and he did it all on his own.
Was  it by design or destiny or was his destiny a design  of a greater power. It’s a question that has haunted me and must haunt u too.
 My story is different from yours, as is everyone’s from everyone else’s  – each of us has a unique flavor, and the emotions that go through me as I narrate it will be different from the  emotions that go through you as u hear it! I want to touch upon a few important things that have led me to some philosophical conclusions, which Ill come to in the end.
 As Julie Andrews said, Let me start at the very beginning a very good place to start.  Let me start with life itself.
I was born second, and as I realized later, I was the last of the Fernandes family. Not the second last as they say in colloquial English. I didn’t know it then, obviously, but was told later, but was born in Southwell hospital Ahmadi, an American run hospital in Kuwait and when the news was conveyed by a nurse to my father, his reaction was, and I know this will cheer all the girls here, “Oh hell, another boy”.  He’ed always wanted a girl, and I landed up not being his favorite child! That was my first tryst with destiny!
As I grew up, I was a paradox – not brilliant, but reasonably studious, personable but not overly handsome, not hardworking but not unduly lazy, not athletic, plump, but enjoyed playing both indoor and outdoor games and played them reasonably. I had flair for reading novels and writing poetry, and while not unsociable, was not an extrovert. . I always had my superego competing with my ego,  and my unlimited inhibitions fighting with my limited talent
With such a paradoxical personality, my school life,  as u can imagine was uneventful. It’s when I reached those interesting teenage years that sparks began to fly… My voice changed and so did I. I sported a beard, which made me look older to match my voice,  played truant from class, formed a group of friends with similar thought processes and worked on the principle of  enjoy with responsibility, with a twist – Responsibility was as we defined it not our parents and generally enjoyed life.  Money was not hard to come by, as my friends played in a band, while I emceed functions professionally. It was as easily spent on variety entertainment, but all in good taste.
It is with these friends of mine that I had my second and third tryst and possibly the gravest ones with destiny.
I live midway down a lane that slopes steeply to end in a wall that acts as a barrier to a drain that runs about 8 to 10 feet below. Its now been encroached and covered.  I used to travel by cycle in those days and one occasion my cycle had a puncture and I had to leave it at home. A friend, rather on the plump side offered to drop me home on his cycle and I sat  and on the bar. As we neared my place, the brakes failed and like Humpty Dumpty and his side kick  we down the lane gathering speed and screaming obscenities that I cant repeat, due to TM rules. We hit the wall, at pretty good speed and went over landing on our backs with miraculously nary an injury except for a minor fracture of my left hand. He was unhurt but the cycle was a wreck. A second tryst with destiny.
Once I had learned to cycle, the world was my oyster. I would cycle all over town, via the back roads up the hills and down the valleys and then egged on by my friends and my own laziness, I would hold the hand of a friend riding the bike – he was the only friend in my group who had bike then, the age old precious yezdi, and would circumnavigate the town, often at speeds exceeding 50 kms an hour.  One fine day a pot hole almost broke me I left his and jammed both the brakes. The cycle stopped in its tracks but I didn’t – I tasted the atmospheric pressure and the quality of the asphalt all in one fell swoop. Luckily for me I didn’t break any bones. A third tryst with destiny.
Still on the set of the movie, where bikes were a star. I was sitting pillion with another friend and he was driving. It was a java then. I was relaxed, reading the headlines on the newspaper. We were on the way to a friends place. Near the tandoor bar and restaurant, at Shadi gudda,  oh and by the way we had not stopped there on the way from my place. My friend, the rider, was a vigilant rider, rather fast, but always vigilant, he saw an electric cable (not charged fortunately) angled across the road loosely tied opposite. He ducked. I was still reading the headlines when it glided across my neck across my chin and we were through. Suddenly my neck was bleeding and burning, but I could swallow, and breathe – both my pipes were intact. We carried on to my friends place and found the cut was not very deep, except at one place and I was very very lucky. It healed in due course. A fourth tryst with destiny.
Which brings me to my hypothesis – I am designed by my destiny, programmed accordingly and let loose in the world.  I don’t and cannot design my destiny.  Even self made men or women, successful men or women, outstanding toastmasters are all designed by their destinies. They act and pursue that destiny accordingly – Take JK Rowling and Stephen Hawking for instance or our very own ND Modi.
The other question that needs to be answered then is who does this architecture… Well the answer to that question, might be the subject of a future blog, but  until then…


No comments:

Post a Comment