Tuesday 27 May 2014

The tale of the lost keys...



7.45 PM.:  It was time to go. All of us dressed to kill.  We had to be at our destination by 8.30 PM. After all it was my office farewell and I was the guest of honor. Arriving late was not an option in my book, though a common phenomenon in our realm. I asked my son to get the car out front and wait for us while we completed the last rites of our departure…

“Give me the keys”, he said. “They are in their usual place”, said I. He searched, but couldn’t find them. So I searched, but also, to no avail.. Then the rest of the family got involved. The keys eluded them too.  Pocket Panic set in - The Wallet, keys, lipstick, comb, spectacles and the like, vital for the journey, but momentarily untraceable.

8.05 PM.:  All of us are still searching. Panic is increasing. Irritability is rising. A Heated exchange of words erupts. The good mood is dissipating rapidly.  The Family is already apprehensive of the immediate explosive future. Questions abound.  Is this casual forgetfulness? Is it temporary, trivial and insignificant? Or a sign of the things to come? Profound questions, but it’s not the time for psycho analysis.

I am annoyed with myself. I last drove the car, and I cannot remember? A Lack of concentration? Too much distraction? Or something else? Is it serious? This was certainly not the first time, despite the self organized centralized deposit for keys in the house….

Is there another explanation? – The disappearing objects phenomenon (DOP) perhaps? – Missing objects found in the most obvious place or in the exact same place it was meant to be or last placed and the finding, accompanied by a soft gentle laughter in the background. Makes you mad, if you are not already….

8.20 PM: Time is running out. I am desperate. I activate my panic busting methodology – Deep breaths, worst scenario visualization, and alternatives exploration. Calmer now, I recheck my pockets and draw a blank. Suddenly, I have an inspired moment. I recall I had changed my pants…

8.25 PM. Eureka! Found them.  Off we go. I have decided to invest in the latest technology to maintain my sanity (and my family) - Blue Tooth stickers linked to a mobile app that triangulates a lost item!. The irony is that next time I might lose my phone!

By
Brian Fernandes

No comments:

Post a Comment