Saturday 5 July 2014

The Last Puff



The Last Puff
A new beginning is what I need
My lungs are about to bleed?
I hope that it will soonest start –
delay is but a malignant seed.

My mind’s all made up,
Coz’ I fear the end,
I’ll do it soon
I’ll not extend.

Is it now, or later today?
Will I, or won’t I ?
It’s a decision,
that’s colored grey.
While the end seems far
the beginning’s near
Can I stay the distance?
Is my interim fear.
I’ve done it before
I’ve had good starts,
but then, as always,
there’s been nothing more.

I watch with glee,
the wispy wavy vaporous gray
that lingers in the air.
and flick the staining residue
that adorns my gleaming shoe.
For the last time, or so I think,
I tauten my lips around the end;
And enjoy,
the tangy taste, the sharp intake
of a deep breath and C O two.

 I feel the rush, as I round the bend,
and I rest assured,
That for the moment
 I’m on the mend.
But what if, my painful end,
My greatest fear
is coming near?
A new beginning
is what I need, before
I start to bleed.

But, again I’m sure,
that once I cease,
I’ll have to seek,
perhaps to find,
the profound answer
to the naughty question
of what will I do
with my nicotine obsessed mind?
Certainly,
I’d pop the sweets,
with regularity, and risk
obesity and diabetes.
There’ll always be jeers,
and maybe, just maybe
a few more beers

A new beginning? I'd like that.
Oh yes! I’m sure I will;
with a committed heart,
I’ll get a good start,
but as the end nears
I’ll wonder again,
If I’ll abandon myself,
to the comfort
of my  fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment