Monday 3 August 2015

Social Media hails an Ola Auto driver, for whom a woman's safety was paramount

Bengaluru: Social Media, thankfully,  is not limited to trolling, or abuse. It also hails the best, the good deeds and the love that makes the world go round. It creates heroes and destroys reputations, but in the instant case it is the former.  The latest post to go viral on the social media is one about an auto driver, who ensured despite odds, that his woman passenger reaches her destination. 
In a Facebook post, that has gone viral now, Shanker said that the auto driver, Ghasamfar Ali K, proved to be "a true gentleman" who knows how to make a woman feel safe.

The facebook post relates to the journey of Ranjani Shankar, who, last week, after an hour of searching for a mode of transport that would take her 38 kms from Bengaluru to Kanakpura Road, Ranjani Shanker booked an Ola Auto, late at night. Shanker was hesitant, but she had little choice and using google maps, which is everyone's friend in need, Shankar found the shortest route.

The driver however thought differently when she showed him the route displayed. Even as he followed her instructions, he told her that the route suggested by the app would be hazardous as it was lowly-lit and deserted. "I told Madam that the road is completely empty, so it's best to avoid it. I told her we should take the main road," Ali told HuffPost.

Fortunately for her, Shanker decided to trust the driver. 'An auto-ride in complete darkness with a stranger in a city that's not my home, with only my phone to keep me connected and provide me light,' she wrote in her Facebook post and Ali assured her of her safety.

Astonishingly in these times when, everyone is in a hurry especially when its late, after they reached their destination, on a dark and empty stretch of road, the auto driver, did not just leave her there, having done his duty, but asked her about her further plans. When told that her friend would reach in 5 mins, the driver asked her if he can wait till he arrives.

"I told Madam that I will wait for her friend to arrive if she doesn't have any problem with that," he said. He waited with her for 30 minutes, crossed the road with her and saw her safely into her friends car. 

"What overwhelmed me was not how well he did his job, but that he was a decent human being who knew that safety is a single woman traveller's biggest concern. Thank you Ghasamfar Ali. Ola, you should be proud to have him drive for you," Shanker wrote in her Facebook post.

Ali, 33, who lives with wife and his 3 year old son at JP Nagar said that he never leaves a woman passenger alone at night. "If someone wants a drop at night, I wait for the passenger to enter the house before I leave that spot," he said. For him safety of women is paramount as it must be for all the men of India.

Here's her facebook post 
Ranjani Shanker
"The world needs more men like GhasamfarAli.K, a true gentleman who knows how to make a woman feel safe when the conditions didn't feel that way.

After a one hour wait spent waiting in a Cafe Coffee Day looking for cabs on Uber and Ola, to take me from Bangalore city to Kanakpura Road, I finally could find only an Ola autorickshaw that agreed to make the 38km trip. In the meanwhile, I was also trying to get a ride from a friend who was headed in the same direction but a little later. So when my auto arrived and I got in, he told me that the location I've asked for doesn't allow autos in the suggested route, (highway/toll road) and so we'd have to take a different route. I looked up Google Maps to find the simplest route and told the auto driver that he had to follow the route I told him only with no deviation. He said okay, but once I started telling him, he slowed me down to warn me that the route had super low light and checked if I was okay going on that route. 

I took a few seconds to coordinate my ride with the friend who said he'd meet me half way and pick me up. So I just took the risk and trusted the auto driver, who'd definitely done everything right up until then to convince me. 

The next 30 mins was an auto ride in complete darkness with a stranger in a city that's not my home, with only my phone to keep me connected and provide me light. All through the ride, the auto driver kept checking if I was okay and mentioned that Ola had given him the right training to drive for single women and that I'll be just fine. Even then, I was holding onto my pounding heart and hoping I reach my friend with no trouble. Not only did this man reach me safely to my destination but he waited 20 minutes with me until my friend arrived, crossed the road with me and ensured I got in safe. 

What overwhelmed me was not how well he did his job, but that he was a decent human being who knew that safety is a single woman traveller's biggest concern. 

Thank you GhasamfarAli. Ola, you should be proud to have him drive for you".

No comments:

Post a Comment